From 1729 to 1731, the baroque church building was commissioned by the Teutonic Order under the direction of the plasterer and master builder Franz Joseph Roth.
The ground plan and elevation of the church is strict and shows no baroque fancies: a single-nave nave over four axes, the crossing, which widens on both sides in semicircular closed transverse arms, and the retracted, three-bay choir form the ground plan of the cross.
The exterior is designed as a sandstone front only on the street side and is richly structured; the three-axis facade is dominated by the tower in the central axis.
On February 23, 1945, an air raid destroyed the town of Ellingen and the church with it. However, thanks to the initiative of the parish under Chaplain Gregor Schneid and the population, the church was provisionally restored. In 1953 the church and in 1967 the renovated organ were consecrated again.
The building structure and the stucco destroyed in the war are thoroughly restored by 1993. As a warning reminder of the bombing, Archangel Michael is found above the pulpit with a shrapnel in his hand, next to it you can see the brown areas of the destroyed frescoes on the ceiling.
Evang. Stadtkirche St. Georg
Weißenburger Str. 29