St. Gumbertus, the former collegiate church with its Gothic extensions and their three spires, is one of the city of Ansbach’s landmarks. The western side of the three spires gained its octagonal flanking towers at the end of the 15th century. The middle spire was built by Gideon Bacher in 1594. From the late Gothic construction built from 1501 – 1523, the choir still remains. The baroque-style hall construction of the church was created as recently as 1736 -1738 by Leopoldo Retty. A romantic crypt from the 11th century was cleared underneath the choir. St. Gumbertus' Church is the oldest historical building in the City of Ansbach.
Well worth seeing is the late-Gothic choir, the so-called Schwanenritterkapelle (Swan Knights Chapel) and the royal burial vault with 25 elaborate sarcophagi of the Ansbach margraves from the 17th and 18th centuries.
The original Baroque organ in St. Gumbertus was designed by Johann Christoph Wiegleb (1690 – 1749) and with its 47 different sounds was, at that time, the largest and most important organ in the region of Franconia. It was composed from an unusual abundance of acoustic colours and constituted a bridge between northern and southern methods of organ building. It was one of the first organs in Germany to get an expression pedal. The casing, designed by Ansbach’s court architect Leopoldo Retti, belongs to the most splendid creations of the late Baroque period.
In 1884 the organ was rebuilt according to the sound perceptions of Georg Friedrich Steinmeyer who utilized materials from the older organ. Remains of the old Wiegleb Organ from that time later were irretrievably lost during a further restoration in 1961. In 2004 the church council resolved to restore the historic organ. The restoration work which was carried out by Reil, a company in Heerden, The Netherlands has now been completed. The cost of 1.5million Euro was mainly raised by private donations, including more than half donated by the association “Friends of the Ansbach Bach Week”. The organ was officially inaugurated on June 17th, 2007 and is now at the disposition of the Bach Week.